Monday, July 13, 2009

First post!

Hey! So I have now been in Africa for almost exactly 3 days. It is great here! It is currently the rainy season (read: there is rain), but the weather is really nice.

The other volunteers are really fantastic people. At this point, I know almost everyone in my 66 person stage, and I can honestly say that they are really amazing, fascinating, and hilarious people. I could not have asked for a better group!!

I am leaving on Wednesday for my homestay village to learn one of the local dialects. I was told my French would qualify for a minority language, but I told the woman in charge of health education (my sector) that I would rather learn Bambara (bam-ba-ra), so I should find out tomorrow. I am really nervous about living with Malians and not being able to speak their language very well. I currently only know a few greeting phrases - greetings are a really big deal here.

In oversharing, and probably excessive pride, I would like to mention that I have become pretty good at using the negen (squatty potty), and have yet to drop anything in accidentally or fall in.

I will eventually post pictures, and hopefully tomorrow will post a phone number here in mali (my cell) where you can reach me - it's free for me to get calls, so call whenever (before 7pm eastern time).

Also, my address for packages or letters is:
Sarah Gallagher
Corps de la Paix
BP 85
Bamako, Mali

I would really love to hear from people! You can also post comments on this blog and I will try to respond. Once I am at my site for good, I should have internet at least once a month, but possibly more.

♥Sarah

7 comments:

  1. Take a picture of the potty for me, eh? Also, please fall in, I need to tell people something embarrassing that you did... ALSO!!! PLEASE OPEN MY CARD!! Please use the how-to guide too! :] Especially the night before you use plan b, eh? :]

    -you know who this is... :]... must I say.

    PS. I tried sending you an air conditioner... didn't work out so well... So I'll just enjoy it my self.. Ahh... Cold air <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love photos! They'd be so super-duper awesome to have. Also, I think you should add an AdSense account and put advertisments on your blog so you can get moolah to have a more stable internet connection :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photos are a must!!!!! Particularly photos of YOU, with your friends, host family and ok...the potty. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, squatting potty! That reminds me of the time I explored some of southern China, ended up in an "authentic" Chinese hotel (holes and bugs in the sheets, a thick layer of grime over everything in the hotel room, sketchy water), and was ultimately convinced to move out asap due to the bathroom - squatty potty poorly placed under the shower. Hygiene fail.

    So, two questions:
    1. Do you have skype?
    2. If the going gets rough, I can send you a care package lined with... well... some special, absorbent items discussed during our Shedd excursion. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: the card - yes juls i opened it. it was freaking hilarious! I won't be using the tips, but they are hilarious and definitely will be posted on my wall.

    Re: photos - I'm working on it. I'm not a photo person, but I'll try harder.

    Re: the negen (potty) i definitely almost dropped my glasses in this afternoon, but managed to catch them before anything too bad happened.

    Re: skype. I do have it (sarah.a.gallagher(@gmail.com), but I am not sure if my internet will be fast enough.

    I miss you all!!!!! Thanks for the comments!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see pics! Also, Bambara = way cool. And let me know when you know about meeting up plans.
    xoxo,
    Tana
    p.s. Miss you! But so glad Mali people are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sarah--

    I opened your email at work and then it slipped my mind after a long day, so I'm just now finally making my way through your blog. Have you met a Rose from Wisconsin; she was a friend of mine in college (now that we are out of college!). I just read her email from Mali, too, so I'm getting all these different views of Mali. It's wacky...

    All right, I will save more observations for comments on the next few posts. Back in a bit....

    ReplyDelete