Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Another update!

So I just found out that I will be in a small village called Kobalakura near Bamako (the capital city) for my language training. I am living with the chief of the village and there are two other volunteers (one of whom is my current roommate - she''s awesome) and another who is another alumna from UChicago. It is good times all around for sure. We are learning Bambara (the lingua franca here), but will probably also use French at our sites (we all scored pretty high on the exam).

My new Malian last name is Dialla which is important for the Malian custom of the bean joke. (Essentially there are only like 17 major last names, and many years ago they were all warring with one another, but as of late the fighting has stopped and has been replaced by joking. Each family name is associated with a trait (usually negative) which other Malians with different last names will use to make fun at each other when being introduced. It is supposed to reduce the awkwardness and tension of meeting people. It's called the bean joke because farting is like a huge faux pas, so calling someone a bean eater implies that they fart a lot.) I will let you know what the Dialla bean joke is when I find out.

Today was a lot of fun. We ate on the floor for the second time. The peanut butter sauce is delicious. I am still incredibly messy at eating the rice and sauce at the same time, and managing to get it in my mouth, but I'm getting better every day. There is some spice or flavor here that I can recognize, but not place, that I just can't eat, but otherwise I'm fine. I'm pretty excited to find out more about the food.

Yesterday I did my laundry (by hand!) and managed to get everything at least clean enough to wear again and look good. Granted, there are people who can do our laundry for us if we provide the soap, so I may not do it much, but I found it sort of relaxing.

Today we had a huge rainstorm midday and all of the lessons stopped until it slowed down. The wind and rains were so strong that they took out the awning over the door to our hut, and are now blocking the door (picture to come). They are fixing it soon.

I would also like to point out at this point that I have now taken a few pictures, but that my cord to upload them is in another bag, which I have yet to sort through. As soon as I have it there will be a post.

I also just got a cell phone here, and will get a sim card tomorrow. Whenever I have internet next (probably in two weeks) I will post my number. It's free for me to receive calls, and I think it can be pretty inexpensive to call from the states, so feel free to give me a ring anytime.

Anyway, I'm off to do some more bonding with my fellow (AWESOME!) PCTs and PCVs.
♥Sarah

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, Sarah, you sound like you're having an amazing time! I just ate dinner, but hearing about that peanut sauce made me hungry... again...

    Do let us know if you learn any cool words. Kirsten tried to teach me a bunch of Swahili words at some point, but the only one I remembered was "twiga" - i.e. giraffe. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely waiting on that phone number... we havent talked in like weeks, so it i have already justified the cost of an international phone to call with :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hunny!!!

    SOOOOO glad to see your blogs - I am so proud of you and glad you are having fun - hey everyone - Sarah's cell number is:
    01122378455513
    I use magic jack in my computer and it is really cheap to call her!
    Glad you are dealing with heat and food (and the portopotty thingy!). By the way, Billy also has a blog which is great too and fills in stuff Sarah doesn't mention and he also has photos - so cool Sarah!!!!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - anyone who wants to see Billy's blog and photos in Mali can go to Sarah's "about me" "view my complete profile" and click on the other blog under Sarah's.

    Feels like you are right hear talking to you this morning!

    Charlie says hi (woof).

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo - I'm going to have to call you dear! So how is learning Bambara? And glad to hear laundry is going ok. Do you have electricity now? Also, Am v. much looking forward to hearing the bean joke - that's a hilarious concept.

    N

    ReplyDelete
  6. Downloading Bruno now, any other movies you want? And by the way, it is FUCKING FANTASTIC! Just make sure you watch it when your alone, and no one can see Sascha Barron Cohen's wide open willy! :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my God you're in the same village with her! Amazing! Quelle coincidence! (crap, is that feminine?) It sounds like you're getting settled really well; I am super impressed. I think I would have a tough time living without all of my precious conveniences. I'm also really looking forward to these photos. All right, on to the next post!

    ReplyDelete